Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tacos and Spanish Rice

Tonight's dinner was a favorite that we usually make like once a week.  Tacos!!!! We usually make chicken tacos but tonight we had ground beef :) Like every day, let's start with the ingredients
In the back you see the shells I already made and in the front are the ingredients for the rice.  Rice, onion, garlic salt, tomato sauce, cumin and chicken boullion.  I'm not the measuring type I just put in what I feel is the right amount of seasoning, but remember to not oversalt!! But it's all easy none the less.  For this whole meal, all I did was fry the shells, cut the onion, and season everything.  The rest was up to my son and he enjoyed every minute!!
He added the rice and onion to a small amount of oil to toast it all together lightly, while it's toasting I added in the garlic salt and cumin and he crumbled up the chicken boullion.  We let it toast til it was fragrant and then added the water.  Rice to water ratio is always 1:2.  So in our case we used 2 cups of rice and 4 cups water.  You can also use any kind of stock you like but we used the boullion cube instead ;p
Stir it all up together and then cover and simmer with medium low heat and let it cook, next we brown our beef and add some garlic salt and pepper and taco mix if you like.
Then we grated the cheese and I chopped up some spinach instead of lettuce (more nutrients).  He was trying to play and grate at the same time, so I told him it would be no laughing matter if he managed to grate off a piece of his skin....he stopped playing around lol
Assemble your tacos how you like them, he like them with just cheese.
How it should be done! I would have tomatoes, sour cream, and avocado also (if I had them on hand) but the main thing is the homemade salsa (secret ingredient).  To sum it up, my son ate both of his tacos and 2 servings of rice, and was raving about how good his food turned out!! :))  Tonight he will be with his grandparents while I work so I guess it's just sandwiches for dinner :)) See you next time we cook!! Thanks for reading :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment